Prep: 20 mins. Cooking: 30 mins. Serves 4-6.
- 14 oz tinned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 3 tbs ghee
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1-2 green chiles, seed and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2-3 tbs chopped cilantro
Heat ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat and add onion, and next four ingredients. Cook until onion is soft and golden. Add tomato and cook until soft. Add coriander and chickpeas, and cook for another 10 minutes. Add 1 cup reserved chickpea liquid and cook for a further 10 minutes. Add garam masala, lemon juice, and cilantro, and cook gently for 2-3 minutes, add more liquid if needed, to make a sauce. Pour into a serving dish and serve immediately.